Author Topic: How can I build a broadband ISP by myself ?  (Read 1002 times)

nikola

• View Profile
How can I build a broadband ISP by myself ?
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »
My country highiest broadband speed is only 2 Mb/s but I heard that some country has up to 100 Mb/s broadband speed . So, I wondered if I can become an isp with such speed but I don't know how ?
Do I need to have a lot of ip ?
What is the hardware/software requirement ? A
nyone can give me the details of building a broadband isp .

First up, you will need to dig huge trenches to lay cables throughout your country, then lay the cables. Alternatively you could hire bandwidth on existing cables from an already establish provider who is also acting as a wholesaler. Costing you Millions to Billions of Euro's depending on what you want

Next you will need to build what we call POP's or Exchanges at strategic locations through out your country, probably you could house your Millions of Euros worth of equipment in existing Telecom companies point of presences, or you could build out your own.

The you will need to create your core layer of equipment, something like ATM over Fiber, or whatever you choose, with very expensive Routers and Multi-layer switches. You will then need to contract with An Internet Exchange to use an exchange, or alternatively invest millions more in starting your own one. At the internet exchange you will route traffic between your ISP and other ISPs.

You will also need to buy a block of IP address from interNIC to use around your network.

You will also need to hire 100 of engineers to set up all this for you and maintain it after.

This project of yours will involve millions of Euros (maybe even more if you want to start from scratch) of Investment, and years to complete. Not to mention years of experience to understand the requirements and more to competently implement the deliverables.

First up, you will need to dig huge trenches to lay cables throughout your country, then lay the cables. Alternatively you could hire bandwidth on existing cables from an already establish provider who is also acting as a wholesaler. Costing you Millions to Billions of Euro's depending on what you want

Next you will need to build what we call POP's or Exchanges at strategic locations through out your country, probably you could house your Millions of Euros worth of equipment in existing Telecom companies point of presences, or you could build out your own.

The you will need to create your core layer of equipment, something like ATM over Fiber, or whatever you choose, with very expensive Routers and Multi-layer switches. You will then need to contract with An Internet Exchange to use an exchange, or alternatively invest millions more in starting your own one. At the internet exchange you will route traffic between your ISP and other ISPs.

You will also need to buy a block of IP address from interNIC to use around your network.

You will also need to hire 100 of engineers to set up all this for you and maintain it after.

This project of yours will involve millions of Euros (maybe even more if you want to start from scratch) of Investment, and years to complete. Not to mention years of experience to understand the requirements and more to competently implement the deliverables.

Good luck :smile:
If I want to build a wireless broadband ,then do I nedd to lay the cables ?

If you want to be an ISP, you'll need to buy access to the internet that you will then resell to subscribers. Depending on how many subscirbers you think you can get and how much bandwidth you want to guarantee them, etc....I've seen ISP's that will subscribe as many as 300 customers to single T1 (1.544MB). They oversubscribe counting on the fact that not all customers will connect at the same time, which is why if you use an ISP that resells service you see your connection slow down during peak connections times. You're going to need equipment - routers and switches. You're going to need to know what you're doing, good luck reading that in a book. I am sure there must be some, why don't you try doing a search in something like google?

Russ answered your question about providing wireless service to a campus envirronment, once you have a company install your connection to the internet (which is not free), you then need the appropriate equipment.

Actually what determine the speed of an internet connection ?The amount of bandwidth delivered to you by the company you buy from is determined by what speed you order, it is as simple as that. You want a T1, they'll give you a T1 (of course if you buy from a reseller, it is unlikely they will actually guarantee you a T1, you will actually share that connection with other subscribers), be wary of bargain "deals".

Once you get internet access, the amount of bandwidth you carve out and deliver to your subscribers will be controlled by your equipment.

I work for a company that is an internet backbone provider. My largest clients are ISP's and telephone companies.

Speed is a combination of Bandwidth and Latency.

Bandwidth is the rate that data can optimally flow accross a network, (but never does).

Latency is the time between a service request and Service Delivery, or rather an information request and its delivery.

FedEx is currently the fastest, I've seen them move TB's > 5000 Miles between LA and Europe over night. In theory they could move EB's this distance too, infact as many Bytes as you can fit in their 747's :biggrin:I think he was asking how the bandwidth speed would be determined if he were to act as an ISP, not how fast data can theoretically travel.

If you just want to play with speed tests, In 2003, my company was part of a test that was able to send 1 terabyte of data from Sunnyvale, Calif., to Geneva at a sustained rate of 2.38G bit/sec for more than one hour, said Harvey Newman, a professor of physics at Caltech. This speed beats the current record by a factor of 2.5and is equivalent to the data rate needed to send 200 full length DVD movies in one hour or one movie in 18 seconds.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2003/0317reseasetd.html

The speed is limited by the hardware at this time.