Author Topic: can access his shared files but when he tries to access mine a box comes up with  (Read 563 times)

genci

• View Profile
    • Email
can access his shared files but when he tries to access mine a box comes up with my computer name in the user name and asks for a password, but i know of no password for it. We are both running XP. any ideas anyone? itd be most appreciated.

nikola

• View Profile
I had the same problem (I'm currently running Vista RC2). Here's what I did to fix it:

- Open Network and Sharing Center
- Under Sharing and Discovery, turn on Network discovery

As originally configured after I installed Vista, that was set to off.

According to the help text for "What is network discovery?":

There are two network discovery states:

On

This state enables you to see other network computers and devices from your computer and enables people on other network computers to see your computer. You can also access shared files and devices on other computers and other people can access shared files devices on your computer.

Off

This state prevents you from seeing other network computers and devices from your computer and prevents people on other network computers from seeing your computer. You cannot access shared files and devices on other computers and other people cannot access shared files and devices on your computer.
After turning on network discovery, I was able to access my Mac via \\<computername>\<username>. Both were case sensitive (in my case, <computername> was all uppercase.

I have to confess, I was expecting something called "Network discovery" to restrict whether my computer was visible on the network, not whether or not other computers on the network would be visible to me. Ah, c'est la vie.

Hope this helps.